Family friendly New Year’s events and things to do on the Gold Coast.
Fireworks EventsNo Events
Gold Coast Road Closures & Community Safety
myPolice Road Closure Advice
(Key new year’s eve road closures are Runaway Bay, Coolangatta and Surfers Paradise)
Fireworks on TV
New Year’s Eve 2013 – ABC1 at 8:30pm.
The New Year’s Eve program will run for four hours and broadcast the Sydney 9pm family fireworks display as well as the Sydney midnight fireworks. The program will also feature live musical performances and a year in review, and will include a cast of much-loved ABC stars and characters, including Richard Roxburgh (Rake), Shaun Micallef (Mad as Hell),Michaela Banas (Upper Middle Bogan), Craig McLachlan (Doctor Blake’s Murder Mysteries), Annabel Crabb (Kitchen Cabinet), Margaret and David (At The Movies), the cast of comedy series The Moodys, and the teams from The Chaser,Gruen Planet and the new Spicks and Specks.
New Years at Home
Here is a list of the essentials to celebrate a family new year’s eve at home.
Sparklers, Hats and Streamers
The obvious essentials for any new year’s eve celebration.
Plastic Champagne Glasses and non-alcoholic bubbly for the kids
Let the kid’s have some fun with plastic champagne glasses and non-alcoholic champagne. They will love feeling ‘grown up’ and can join in the new year’s toast in style with the adults.
Most sparkly dresses and finest suits in the house
Dig through the cupboards and find the most sparkly dresses and finest suits for the family to dress up in. Nothing like the feeling of being dressed up, even just to stay home and celebrate!
Buy some cheap brown paper bags and write the hours leading up to midnight on each bag. Add an activity, party food, game or entertainment idea to each bag and open the bags on the hour leading up to midnight. This is my list as an example:
- 6pm – Everyone in their party clothes, music on and TV off.
- 7pm – Directions to find the party snacks which are hidden around the house – a good old fashioned scavenger hunt!
- 8pm – Home made game of celebrity heads. Simply write celebrity names on pieces of paper and let people draw out of the bag for their celebrity.
- 9pm – Turn on ABC 1 for New Years Eve fireworks and entertainment (more on the ABC website).
- 10pm – Paper and pens for every one to write down their favourite moments about 2013 and what they are looking forward to in 2014 (these could be displayed in the home or saved to look at in a years time).
- 11pm – Sparklers, party hats, plastic champagne glasses and anything else to celebrate bringing in the new year.
Check out the ideas submitted last year on Facebook for ideas to celebrate New Years.